With today being the first of April, we’re officially 1/4th in to 2013 and some pretty amazing games have been released thus far with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Tomb Raider & Bioshock Infinite, but nothing has impressed me more than Ninja Theory’s re-imagining of the Devil May Cry franchise.
Let’s be honest.. Capcom is in a bad place right now and needs all the help they can get. They’ve been trying to figure out how to improve Resident Evil for 10 years, Breath of Fire is long gone and we’re all tired of the disc-locked DLC and frequent re-releases like Street Fighter IV & Marvel vs Capcom. Asura’s Wrath was a breath of fresh air and Dragon’s Dogma was my top game of 2012, so Capcom seemed to be on the rise again. Nothing made me happier when they approached Ninja Theory to improve upon one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history – Devil May Cry.
Listening to fan feedback, Ninja Theory made Dante edgy, changed his style and ran the game at a blistering 30 FPS with the Unreal engine. Personally, when I play a game I look for three things–titties, curse words and cutscenes–and DmC delivered this in spades. What it didn’t deliver was disappointment. Thank you, Ninja Theory. Thank you, Capcom.
If you need more reasons why DmC is Q1’s Game of the Year, well here you go! 10 of them! (Count that shit, homie!)
- Virgil’s long sleeve Tapout style shirt.
- Kat’s ability to spray paint the same circle while holding the can in a completely different location.
- Frequent use of Combichrist music.
- Dubstep. Enough said.
- Enemies that can only be damaged by one weapon type.
- Edgy one-liners like “I’m your prom date, you ugly sack of shit.” and “You’re dumped.”
- Bob Barbas is just doing God’s work.
- SSS combos are easier than ever.
- Frequent references to Dante being a sexual deviant and spreading STDs.
- Lilith looks like Pam from True Blood and Mundus looks like Randy Couture.
Checkmate, son! DmC Devil May Cry is a fine wine while all the other games are shit that a homeless man wouldn’t cook with.